Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Twenty-four hours ago . .

The tremendous victory last night was just not enough. For almost twenty-four hours, I've been working to extend these moments: When Ohio was called for Barack Obama and, driving home alone from downtown Cleveland, I started sobbing. When Barack reached, almost anti-climatically, the milestone of 270 electoral votes and ended the longest, hardest-fought election in modern memory. When the genuine John McCain, a man I have mourned the past several months, returned to make a measured and gracious concession speech.

And the moment when Barack and Michelle Obama embraced onstage, then walked off together, the new President-elect pausing to throw one last wave and smile to a roaring crowd.

Others want to extend the moment too. Delirious grins are exchanged, clips are re-loaded and re-watched. I'm wasting hours tearing up over photo montages, those dependable mood rings of historical significance, and reading international reactions. I can't stop, especially since the internet heartily encourages this new habit.

I have supported Barack Obama ever since he entered the presidential race. But the moment I became truly committed to his candidacy was just over a year ago, during Flag Pin Gate. His response to that headlining controversy:

"You know, the truth is that right after 9/11, I had a pin. Shortly after 9/11 . . . that became a substitute for I think true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security, I decided I won't wear that pin on my chest. Instead, I'm going to try to tell the American people what I believe will make this country great, and hopefully that will be a testimony to my patriotism."

I was floored. I had never heard any politician making such a nuanced statement, acknowledging the difference between empty symbolism and true patriotism. And even when Barack went back to wearing a pin, I realized I could live with it because I knew he was making a concession for the greater good. If people needed to see him with a flag pin, okay. There were bigger hurdles. And he met them with eloquence and the essential talent to assemble, organize and motivate a crack team.

Thoughtful, cool, nuanced . . . even intellectual. I wanted this man to be my president, but feared it wasn't possible. These qualities had been so soundly derided by the new Republican order (see John Kerry and his ability to speak French), that I wondered how the American people could ever elect someone with ambiguous feelings toward flag pin-wearing. Oh, and by the way, he was also African-American.

Yet, somehow . . . Barack Obama will be our next president.

The talking heads are quick to point out (and they have their own frantic reasons for extending the story), that this is just the beginning. Barack Obama faces tremendous adversity as he begins to navigate the United States away from the last eight years: the deficit, the economy, the wars, the healthcare system, the banking industry, and the disaffected McCain supporters who will need outreach and reassurance if we are truly to overcome a particularly bitter brand of partisanship.

But hey - Barack Obama is no stranger to adversity. Reports continue that he is working to expand and re-organize his crack team, preparing to hit the ground running on January 20, 2009. I truly believe that most Americans, even those who exist beyond the adoring throngs, will eventually respect and support him.

Watching the global jubilation last night, I remembered that the United States has always progressed forward. We might take a step sideways here, or make a leap backwards there, but we continue to march a line toward increased and equal rights, greater compassion and further equanimity. Last night's victory, and the feeling of unity we shared across continents - that is true symbolism.

So, please, let us have this moment. At least for the next few days.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I cried too. It was gorgeous- and McCain's concession speech and Obama's acceptance speech were the most beautiful pair I've ever heard. What an election- you've described it well.

Zach Wallmark said...

Obama has inspired such a sense of possibility and transcendence in people that it is impossible to see him elected without growing emotional. On Tuesday night, America turned so many pages. It's more than just happiness that filled our nation and the world that night (and continues to radiate) - it is a sense that we're back on the right track after years in the cold.

Beautiful reflection.