Thursday, May 29, 2008

As if you couldn't see it coming

But honestly, I didn't think it would come from Hollywood.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7423089.stm

I was ready for some moron Southern Baptist preacher to start ranting about the will of God and punishment for all them pinko-commies. Either way, this really upsets me.

For one, the policies of a government are not necessarily indicative of the moral fortitude of its people. I can believe that the Chinese government stirs bad blood, but I refuse to believe that the 50,000+ deceased and the 5,000,000+ left homeless did something so wrong as to invoke this supposed wrath of God.

The other thing is that this is just another helping of the same poor image individual Americans are projecting to the world. I'm not too optimistic about your average American, but every now and then it creeps up on you. You see some person in their struggles and you can't help but feel a wave of empathy. This battle we're fighting, it's against a faceless enemy. Individuals aren't necessarily bad, despite their actions. When it comes down to it people hurt and they don't want to. I can't say it enough and this won't be the last time you'll hear me say it, but I'm sure the American salt-of-the-Earth are perfectly capable of getting along with Russian, Iranian, Chinese, or Korean salt-of-the-Earth folks as well.

Regardless, if your logic is reciprocal, Sharon Stone, then your faulty judgment, the exploits of American snipers, our beloved president, and all the evangelists you can fit into a tin can are going to land a meteor right in the center of Oklahoma. That would be karmic.

1 comment:

Zach Wallmark said...

God doesn't want me to comment on this post - I just tried twice (the first was frustratingly lengthy to be lost in cyberspace), but I keep losing my connection right when I post. Thanks for bringing this to the blog - I'll write more when I have a reliable connection.