Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Couvade

What a stupid word for the phenomenon that is my life right now. That's not to say I'm intolerant of other cultures; if it were an English word I'd hate it just the same. No, no. See, I used to weigh 170 lbs. Admittedly, for my height & build, that's a little low. But it was sustained, and effortlessly. I quit smoking, stayed 170. Didn't get to the gym as often, stayed 170. It was only when David started to peek his little tadpole head around my wife's cervix that the weight gain happened. And boy did it happen. I'm talking 15 lbs nearly overnight. And where I was 170 lbs at the beginning of the pregnancy I was 235 at the end. Finally, after 2 years of David's life I got down to about 210 - 205 (no crash or fad diets), and for my height that's pretty normal. Now we're at it again. You may think I'm just packing it in and this is my fault. Oh no. Let me remind you I'm vegan, I don't eat processed foods, and now that I don't eat soy my diet consists of a lot of steamed vegetables, salads, steamed rice, oatmeal, etc. Even if I gorged myself on food constantly I couldn't hit 2000 calories in a day. I haven't even weighed myself yet to see what the damage is. It's so early in the pregnancy I don't want to know. But at very least, to add insult to injury, my wife's losing weight.

Feel free to read up on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couvade. This is why you should never have kids, fatty.

1 comment:

Zach Wallmark said...

I've never heard of this condition; how crazy! Good luck with the pregnancy this time around.