Wednesday, February 11, 2009

"How To Avoid Evolution in 2,408 Years; Chapter 1"

"'... Good Sir, you are an Athenian, a citizen of the greatest city with the greatest reputation for both wisdom and power; are you not ashamed of your eagerness to possess as much wealth, reputation and honours as possible, while you do not care for nor give thought to wisdom or truth, or the best possible state of your soul?' Then, if one of you disputes this and says he does care, I shall not let him go at once or leave him, but I shall question him, examine him and test him, and if I do not think he has attained the goodness that he says he has, I shall reproach him because he attaches little importance to the most important things and greater importance to inferior things. I shall treat in this way anyone I happen to meet, young and old, citizen and stranger, and more so the citizens because you are more kindred to me. Be sure that this is what the god orders me to do, and I think there is no greater blessing for the city than my service to the god. For I go around doing nothing but persuading both young and old among you not to care for your body or your wealth in preference to or as strongly as for the best possible state of your soul, as I say to you: 'Wealth does not bring about excellence, but excellence makes wealth and everything else good for men, both individually and collectively.'"

- excerpt from 29d through 30b of "Apology" from The Trial and Death of Socrates by Plato. Translated by G.M.A. Grube.

1 comment:

Zach Wallmark said...

Amen. You should CC this to John Thain.

Just finished watching the free Zeitgeist film addendum that deals a lot with this same issue:
zeitgeistmovie.com